According to the Immigration Law, foreign registration is required for foreigners who intend to stay in Korea for more than 90 days from their arrival date.
Qualifications for application
- A foreigner who intends to stay in Korea for more than 90 days
- An individual who gives up Korean nationality and gains a foreign nationality
- A Korean-born foreigner who was born in Korea and intends to stay in Korea for more than 90 days from the date of receiving residence status
Exemptions from Foreign Registration
- Individuals engaged in Diplomacy, Official Missions and Agreements and their families (A-1, A-2, A-3)
- Citizens of Canada intending to stay in Korea for less than 6 months who fall under one of the following statuses: Culture/Arts (D-1), Religious Works (D-6), Visit & Stay with Family (F-1), Family Dependency (F-3) and Others (G-1)
- Individuals undertaking diplomatic, industrial, or other important duties for national security, their family members, and other foreigners for whom exemption is deemed necessary by the Minister of Justice.
Registration period
- Foreigners who intend to stay in Korea for more than 90 days: within 90 days of entry
- Foreigners who received permission for status to stay or change of status: upon receiving permissions
Registration procedure

Applicants should submit the following documents :
- foreign registration application;
- passport;
- a color photo (3 cm x 4 cm);
- fee of 10,000
- Other required documents according to status of stay, to the Immigration Office or a branch office under the jurisdiction.
Foreign registration is valid for one year and foreigners should renew their foreign registration within one year.

Returning foreign registration cards

Under one of the following conditions, foreigners should return their foreign registration cards to the Immigration Office.
- On final departure date of a registered foreigner
- When the registered foreigner abandons his/her foreign citizenship and acquires Korean nationality
- Upon the death of the registered foreigner
- When the registered foreigner becomes exempt from foreign registration

Return Period of Foreign Registration Cards

- Foreigners planning leave the country for good should return their foreign registration cards upon departure.
- When a foreigner gains Korean nationality, the person should return the foreign registration card within 14 days
of his/her acquisition of Korean nationality. When returning the foreign registration card, the foreigner should
submit a Korean nationality verification certificate and give up the foreign nationality verification certificate.
- Upon Death
The foreign registration card should be returned within 14 days of acknowledgement of death or within 30 days of death. Medical report, inquest report, or other death verification documents should be submitted with the returned foreign registration card.

※ Penalties will be imposed if foreign registration cards are not returned within the required periods.

Foreigners’ report obligations
Reporting Obligations of Changes of Particulars of Foreign Registration Card
A registered foreigner should report the changes of information on a foreign registration card to a local immigration office of jurisdiction under one of the following circumstances.
- When the name, sex, date of birth or nationality of a foreigner change
- When the passport number, date of issuance or expiration date change
- When the organizations of foreigners with one of the following visas Culture/Arts (D-1), Study (D-2), General Training (D-4) changes its name.
- When the organizations of foreigners under one of the following visas Press Coverage (D- 5), Religious Works
(D- 6), Intra-Company Transfer (D-7), Treaty Investment (D-8), Treaty Trade (D-9)changes its name.
Reporting Period
within 14 days from the date when the above causes take place. The registered foreigner in violation of this equirement should pay penalty.
Reporting Method
The principal or his/her agent should submit required documents to the Immigration Office under the jurisdiction.
Required Documents
- Passport and foreign registration card
- Application form of report on changes of particulars of foreign registration card
- Documents verifying the changes
Reporting Obligation of Change of Place of Stay
When a registered foreigner changes his/her place of stay, the person should report it to the jurisdictional Immigration Office within 14 days from the foreigner’s move-in date. Penalties are imposed in breach of the obligation.
Required Documents
- Passport and foreign registration card
- Report form of change of place of stay
Other reporting obligations
Employer’s Declaration of Obligations
According to the Immigration Act, employers of foreigners or the heads of companies offering foreigners industrial training should declare to the Immigration Office within 15 days of the date when they know about one of the following causes. For the infringement of this obligation, penalties will be charged to employers or the head of company.
Conditions to Declare
- In case of hiring, retirement or death of the foreign employee
- When the hired foreigner’s place of stay is uncertain
- When important information in employment contracts changes: when the contract period, name or location of
the company, or employer changes, when the company sends the employee to another workplace, or when the foreign employee violates Immigration Law and/or other related regulations
Reporting Obligation of Foreign Students
For the efficient management of the increasing number of foreign and language students in Korea, the reporting obligation of foreign students is imposed on the head of domestic universities or graduate schools, where the D- 2 status foreign students study as well as on the head of university-affiliated language institutes, where the General Training (D-4) status or Temporary Visiting (C-3) status foreign students study the Korean language. If one of the following grounds for reporting arise, they must declare within 15 days of that date, or they will be fined.
Grounds for Reporting
- When a foreign student admitted to a school or permitted to train does not register or is absent within the designated period
- When the overseas study or training period is terminated for a foreign student because of expulsion or withdrawal, or when the whereabouts of the student are unknown
Opening an account
A foreigner can open a bank account by visiting a bank whether he/she resides in Korea or not. A residing foreigner refers to an individual who stays in Korea for more than 6 months while a non-residing foreigner refers to a person who stays in Korea for less than 6months.

Required Documents
Passport, Alien Registration Card
When you want to send money overseas, you can transfer money at a bank. Through designated foreign exchange banks, you can transfer up to $ 50,000 (remit + exchange) a year, and if you have a document showing how the money was acquired, then you can transfer any amount within the range of income. Different banks have different fees and restrictions on transfers, so it is recommended you compare information at different banks.
Required Documents
Passport, Alien Registration Card, certificate of earned income (when applicable)
When you transfer money to an overseas bank account

It is convenient and fast to transfer money through telegraphic transfer. For the transfer, you need to write down the name of the recipient, address, account number, the name of bank, and other pertinent information in English.

Exchange of money

If you have a passport, you can easily exchange foreign money or traveler’s checks for Korean money at Korean banks, including the Korean Exchange Bank and the change booths at the airport. You can exchange up to $10,000 (for one entry) at a time. The foreign exchange rates are not fixed and change depending on economic factors.

Related Websites

Yahoo Finance : [E]
Korea Exchange Bank [K, E, J, C]

For More Information
The Exchange Rate ARS Service:
Tel. 82-2-1544-3000(#3)
Tel. 82-2-1588-3500(#3)
Qualification for Issuance
Credit card companies issue credit cards to those that meet requirements for issuance of a credit card. So if you don’t have a good credit record, your request for the issuance of a credit card might be rejected.
How to Issue Credit Card and Required Documents

A foreigner who intends to receive a credit card needs to find out various benefits and services offered by credit card companies or banks and can sign up for one through the credit card company’s website or by visiting a bank or
an office of a credit card company. Required documents for the sign-up include application form with your photo, foreign registration card, the document verifying your income. However, different banks or credit card companies may require different documents.

Annual Membership Fee (As of 2007)
Annual membership fee is a fee charged for the issuance of the credit card and various services offered by the credit card company. Annual membership fee is charged every year starting with the month of issuance. Annual membership fee is divided into basic annual membership fee and affiliated service fees (except for family card and corporation card). Basic annual membership fee is charged once a year regardless of the number of cards you have. Affiliated service fees are charged for the different cards you have.

Credit Card



Kookmin Card [K]

KB BC card Tel. 1588-9999
KB card Tel. 1588-1688

Samsung Card [K]


LG Shinhan Card [K]


KEB Card [K, E]

For overseas call Tel. 82-2-524-8100

Hyundai Card [K, E]


BC Card [K]


Woori Card [K, E]


Citi Card [K, E]


Hana Card

For overseas call Tel. 82-42-520-2500

Foreigners with a driver’s license may exchange their license for a Korean license after passing aptitude test or aptitude test and simple written test,.
Exchanging Location
1. 26 Driver's License Examination Office
* For more information :
2. Drivers’ License Agency in Seoul Global Center (3rd floor, Press Center. Tel. 02-1688-0120)
* For more information :
1. You must be a resident in Korea : Those with a visitor’s visa or without a proper residence card cannot apply for a license.
2. You must provide a full license : hose with temporary, provisional, probationary, permit, certificate or motorcycle license cannot exchange it for a Korean license. Those without a proper license must go through the process of applying for a new license in Korea.
3. Those with licenses issued from a country other than their home country must provide proof of residency in that country for 90 days or more.
Required Documents
1. Original foreign license (to be submitted for exchanging it with Korean license)
When it’s time for you to leave Korea, you can get your foreign driver’s license by showing your passport and airline ticket.
2. Embassy certificate
3. Translated and notarized copy
4. Passport
5. Alien Registration Card or Domicile Registration Card
6. Three photos (3 cm x 4 cm)
* Substitute application not allowed.

1. Physical examination fee : 5,000 won
2. license production cost : 6,000won
3. simple writing test : 6,000won

Issuing nations of driver’s licenses valid in Korea

Asia, Oceania

ustralia, New Zealand, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Fiji, India, Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, South Korea, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tazakistan, Mongolia, Pakistan


Argentina, Barbados, Canada, Chile, Cuba, Paraguay, Republic of Dominica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Peru, U.S.A., Venezuela


Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Vatican City, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Georgia, Turkey, England, Serbia,? Belarus,? Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Germany, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, San Marino, Slovenia, Switzerland, Macedonia, Ukraine, Armenia

Middle East, Africa

Algeria, Benin, Botswana, Central African Republic, Senegal, Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Egypt, Ghana, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Kingdom of Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Malta, Morocco, Namibia, Rwanda, Republic of South Africa, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Sierra Leone, Niger, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Republic of the Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Iran, Kuwait, Niger, Senegal, Seychelles, Zimbabwe, Liberia, Tunisia


License issued from the nation in which Korean license is valid: aptitude test (physical test) is required.
License issued from the nation in which Korean license is not valid: aptitude test and simple written test
(20 multiple choice questions in Korean, English or Chinese)

Visa is a basic requirement for entry and in principle, a foreigner wishing to enter Korea must have a visa.
- Single Entry Visa
Only a single-entry is permitted for the duration of the visa.
Valid for 3 months from the date it had been issued.

- Multiple-entry visa
an individual can enter the country two or more times within the term.
A person meeting any one of the following qualification may enter Korean without a visa.
- Countries under Visa Waiver Agreements
- Designated visa-free entry
- Frequent visitors
- Transit tourists bound for another country
- Europe bound Chinese transit tourists
- Japanese tourists/travelers
- Special Entry arrangements for the Jeju island
- Re-entry permit holders
- Holders of Passport issued by recognized international organizations
- APEC Business Travel Card

*For more information regarging Visa Free Entry :

- Visa Issuance Location
The embassy or consulate of the Republic of Korea

- Required Documents
1. Passport
2. Visa Issuance Application (pdf 파일 visa issuance application)
3. Other documents as required by the applied visa status
(The information is available on the Korea Immigration[K,E])
※ Submit with the certificate of visa issuance recognition if necessary

- Visa Issuance Fee
? Single-entry visa for less than 90 days: Amount equivalent to $30 (USD)
? Single-entry visa for more than 91 days: Amount equivalent to $50 (USD)
? For all multiple-entry visa: Amount equivalent $80 (USD)
? Chinese Tourism Group: Amount equivalent to $10 (USD) per person

※ The fee is exempt for people of the country under the fee-exempt agreement with Republic Of Korea